Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Walk

Today I walked the Winner's Walk Of Hope. It was 5km for ovarian cancer. I raised somewhere around $600-something. I felt really proud of myself. I think it's the first really worthwhile thing I've done all year.

My mom died of this cancer when I was a teenager. In a week's time it'll have been 10 years. She was 49, I was 16.

When I was working in an office, my co-worker of some years would bring me April daffodils from the Cancer Society and I'd watch them bloom in my basement office. I have a daffodil tattoo on my hip, which I got when I was 19. But otherwise, I've not done very much other than remember her, and feel bad on Mother's Day.

Today was different. I bought a sunflower for the walk and when it started, I turned on my iPod and listened to music that inspired me. I had my sunglasses on and I cried a little behind them, as I wondered if my mom was proud of me, and I saw people wearing shirts saying things like "Team Colleen," and "For Mama."

I made really good time. I finished in under an hour. I was exhausted, but I felt like I gave it my best effort. My mom was always really happy when I was active outdoors. I was a pretty sedentary kid. I remember how excited she was when I joined the track team.

I don't have much more to say. I hope she was watching.

This is actually crossing the finish line.
I used that sunflower to harass Dude all the way home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...