Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Attack of the Y

The chickflickathon continues. We're making good progress. Actually, it's really been nice for our relationship. Watching a movie each night instead of having the TV on and plugging away at laptops or reading or whatnot is more pleasant. However, the Dude has now insisted I watch a selection of guy movies.

Sounds fair, right? Tit for tat? Eh, not quite. I often watch a number of "guy" movies on my own volition, whereas the Dude does not seek out any girly movies ever. So this means there were a number of quality feminine movies he had not seen, whereas I have seen a significant chunk of guy-type movies, leaving the ones I have avoided to be the less quality ones. For example, I've seen all the Terminator movies, Sin City, A Few Good Men, Seth Rogan's offerings, and so on.

It also brings a point that so many testosterone-fuelled movies are considered broadly appealling, as men's stories are considered to have universal appeal, whereas stories more estrogen-fuelled are not. Somehow stories by and about women are "niche" and stories by and about men are for everyone. So while some movies are "unisex" as it were, I think it's only fair to be broad-minded about what constitutes a mens movie (not just action or horror), as I included several movies which are not exclusively geared towards women (The English Patient, Atonement, Say Anything).

So we've compromised and instead of 30, I'll watch 15. We got a head start and we watched The Hangover. Honestly, not my kind of movie. Not bad and it wasn't a waste, but I'm glad I didn't see it in the theatre.

It's funny because as I type about this male movie testosterone stuff, the Dude is curled up asleep on the couch cuddling Smokey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...