Friday, June 25, 2010

So maybe I like it

So as it turns out, I kinda like hot yoga. The first time I was unprepared for the level of heat and exhaustion. This time the class sort of flew by. And it's always the same routine, which really helps the minutes tick away. Also, amazingly, after only my second class, I was able to touch my toes in certain stretches, something that has never happened for me before ever.

Yes, I'm 27.5 years old and this is a first. Fancy that, eh?

You know, it's kind of funny. The things you think you're going to like or get into or even try are so far off base when you're a teenager. When I was 13-15, I wanted to learn guitar. Now, I have about zero musical ability, and in fact I tried to learn piano for about five years. I never really progressed and strangely the year I quit I stopped understanding math. Buzuh?

Anyway, I thought it'd be cool to learn guitar. I also wanted to learn to ride horses. I did ride a horse once when I was 20 and I didn't care for it. Plus, as it turns out, large animals make me nervous. I mean, they're neat and I like to look at them and I enjoy the idea of a horse, but yeah. That's about it.

When I was 15 I thought I was going to wait for marriage to have sex. I thought that would happen by 25 and then I'd start having babies. I was also pro-life (because virgins don't have to worry about that sort of thing, and it's easy to lack empathy when it's not your problem).

Pretty much you never know what you're going to do or like. Hell, I didn't even think I liked peppers, green beans, zucchini (See a pattern here? I thought I hated vegetables), tomatoes, oranges, eggs, brown bread...

And now I'm belly dancing, eating Indian food and stirfry, living with my boyfriend, now taking up yoga and generally not doing or being anything I had planned on doing or being. Is this really how long it takes a person to figure out who they are? Almost 30 years?

Huh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...