Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More hibernation

I keep skipping dance. I just can't bear to go out into the damn cold. I used to not have a choice. I have strong and vivid recollections of waiting for the bus in grade 8, -15 C, my jeans freezing stiff against my numb legs and the contents of my nose crystallizing.

I remember in my early 20s tromping out into a blizzard to do a friend a favour, wading through slush and then walking home. I used to help my mom shovel the driveway after it snowed a foot and a half. The Canadian winters were no match for me, mostly because I had no way out of it.

And so here we are. I'm 28 and I've become a total wiener. And also I now have kittens for company, and their antics and adorableness are hard to leave. I find myself taking kitten breaks from work to go play and give them treats.

As far as wedding planning goes, we've hammered out a real budget, not just the loose idea we had months ago. And I've come to the realization I need to hire a planner. Not a full-on planner, but someone who will keep the day organized, stay on top of deliveries (Like the cake) set up my shazam at the venue and pack things up (Like leftover cake) and deliver them back to me.

I think if I had my family here in the city with me, or if my mom were living, or my dad were reliable, I'd be able to ask for a few favours. My brother is good guy, too, but he's not the sort of person who replies to emails, so I don't know that I can make requests of him. Three out of four of my bridal party are out of town, too. And while I stand by my choices and I know I've picked the right people, it's the sinking knowledge that you're kinda on your own in the city that makes you take a step back and admit you need to hire some assistance.

Well, not entirely alone. I have some dear friends who are local and there for me and enjoy crafts, and I know my out of town friends will do what they can. But there's only so much you can ask a friend to do, if you want them to enjoy your wedding too. So nuts to saving money in this arena.

I feel a little boring lately, like I don't have as much to say. I'll wager it's because I'm hibernating. No one here except us bears.

1 comments:

Alek said...

1/4, always willing to help. ;)

Also, craft club! You should start taking total advantage of us and turning craft club into "wedding supply manufacturer club".

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...